Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The day after Parliament convened...

Well, for those of us within blocks of the historic start of the Afghan Parliament we spent the morning trying to figure out how to get my husband, Norm to his driver so that he could go to Mazaar-i-Shariff. All of the streets within a mile were "band ast" or blocked. And I spent the morning trying to complete my survey writing as helicopters and planes flew over close enough to see the soldiers in them. ISAF convoys toured through our block which I would have taken a picture of except it is dangerous. I had to read about what actually happened on the internet as the word in the street is sketchy, rife with rumor and mostly inaccurate.
The city has come to a standstill, mostly, as the important business of parliament convenes and Afghans are baffled, and frustrated as they try to get to work. I heard very little celebration as people struggle to get through the city. The traffic is bad here on a good day as a city of 4 million plus tries to function in a city built for 1/2 million 20 plus years ago. However, today I heard possible explanations for the traffic problems.
Palwasha, PARSA's administrator informed me that "The people in the parliament are fighting so that is why the roads are blocked."
Another staff member "There are warlords in the parliament so that is why no one can go anywhere on time and the police are flying in the helicopters."
All a mystery to me. We thought we had only one more day of uproar but now that is uncertain as nothing apparently has been agreed upon.
I have personal friends that have been voted to Parliament so I am grateful for the extra vigilence and very very proud of them. But I will have to find out what really has happened when Mahbouba gets here, saturday. She is my ear to the ground here.

Below are pictures from my window 6 am in morning...


No comments:

 
webhosting webhosting