Thursday, December 22, 2005

Introducing "Mabouballah"

I have had the good fortune to meet here an Afghan American, Mahbouba Seraj, who has been my colleague, co-trainer, and fellow adventurer. She and I, although we are very different, are intrigued, fascinated and are committed to Afghanistan. Each in our own way. Many Afghans became refugees because of their royal blood and connections and my friend Mahbouba is no exception. They have returned to Afghans who often will ask them why they left. Mahbouba's candid reply is that she would have been killed if she and her family stayed. I have the privilege of spending alot of time with her which means I get to see Afghanistan through her eyes and I have to say for all of that she has spent a good portion of her life outside of Afghanistan she is all Afghan. Like many others she lives in both worlds-but for me-being with her is a window on a world most foreigners never get to see much less to understand. I can't say that I understand yet...there seems to be no nuetral to the character of an Afghan-I think they make the Italian culture look calm. And Mahbouba is no exception-ebulliant, loving, angry, flamboyant, and with a wicked Afghan sense of humor-we have spent days and days together on survey going through the villages.

I have a pet name for her...because King Habibullah is her grandfather, and King Amanullah, her uncle...two kings that brought Afghanistan to the modern times. King Amanullah-a man ahead of his time-outlawed the "chaderi" or burqa in the 1940's...and she sees Afghanistan through her lineage with broad vision and with a deep disappointment about all that was lost through the war...I call her "Mahbouballah", because when we are in the villages she greets the people with love, scolds them for mistreating the animals, and teaches the children manners in the unconscious way of someone who wants the best for her people. She just has an authoritative air about her that is as charming as it can be irritating. So to tease her I call her "Mahbouballah Khan"....and I could write a book about her antics.

For those of you interested, Martin Ewens has written a short history of Afghanistan which I went over with Mahbouba to see if the parts about her family were accurate from what she remembers as a child and she was impressed.

King Amanullah...her uncle and King Habibullah,her grandfather,2nd and "Mahbouballah"





Notice any family resemblance?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy y'all,

There IS a resemblance between "Mahboubullah Khan" and other family members. I may be wrong, but I think in the pictures, the one standing next to the pedestal (1st photo) is Amanullah Khan , and the other one sitting is Habibullah khan.
Maybe you can check with the grand-daughter :)

thanks
-Mahmood

Marnie Gustavson said...

Dear Mahmood,
The first is Habibullah and the second picture is his son, Amanuallah flanked by guards...went over it all in detail with her. Thanks for writing! Marnie

Anonymous said...

OK, I guess Habibullah resembles alot the pictures we've seen of Amanullah.

Do you tease Mahbouba and call her "princess" sometimes ? :)

Take care,
-Mahmood

Anonymous said...

Hi Marnie,

I guess I shouldn't argue with the grand-daughter. She knows her lineage, except that the images we have seen over the years of King Amanuallah Khan are similar to the first image. Also there are references on the internet, one using the same image and identifying the person as Amanullah Khan:
http://numismondo.com/pm/afg/1919-20/

http://www.zhwak.com/

Anyway, do you sometimes tease Mahbouba and call her "princess" ? :)

thanks
-Mahmood

Marnie Gustavson said...

Mahmood,
I went to my book on Afghanistan and I sure see what you mean..I will check with her again when she comes on Sunday and also send on your note.

Anonymous said...

Amanullah wasn't the King anymore after 1929.
I'm really enjoying your blog.

Anonymous said...

I feel so lucky to have found this site. I knew Mahbouba more than 30 years ago when we both worked at UNDP in NY and I'm very happy to see that she is happy and healthy and doing such important work in her home country. I still have a necklace and Afghan vest that she gave to me before she left NY. I still keep them to remind me of our friendship. I send big hugs to Mahbouba!

 
webhosting webhosting