Sunday, December 18, 2005

The day before parliament convenes...






I am trying to learn how to post daily and I have to warn you that my pictures are just what catches my eye on a daily basis. That reflect what I see in my day.

Norm and I live in Karte Se about 3 blocks from where I lived as a kid. I am sure that I am surrounded by old houses that my fellow "Scorpions" lived in. People who lived here in the '60's and '70's and attended the American International School of Kabul. Yesterday I had lunch with two women I realy enjoy and respect, Dr. Patricia Omidian who was here during Taliban and is now the country director for AFSC..or American Friends Service Committee. They build schools and Dr. Patricia is creating a fantastic "psychosocial well-being" program that I am going to help develop and promote. (more on this later). Tilly is the country director for "Counterparts" and the capacity build Afghan organizations here with a USAID contract. It is so rare to be able to talk with expats...who have the same commitments I have here (ongoing support for Afghans) that it is always a pleasure. We were talking about the tremendous pressure of living here in the winter. We discovered upon talking that we spend as much as possible giving money for impossible situations, the most difficult is heating during the winter.

I found a young girl yesterday in our yard raking the debris and upon inquiry found out that she was heating her families home with it. My young house fellow, Sami, had given her permission. Our 19 year old, house hold help, Zeba, came in the other day in summer clothes and no socks, sicker than Norm. she makes $150 a month (I gave her a raise up from $98) and she supports 12 people. I went in to my wonderful PARSA women directors and gave them $30 to go out and get her warm clothes because I knew she wouldn't spend it on herself. She came in the next day dressed head to toe, bless their hearts, and looking like Eliza Doolittle from "My Fair Lady" and deeply grateful. It is really difficult for us here as our work is with international agencies who reside in Washington DC and to recieve our pay we go through three banks, endless paper work and work with people who do not have any idea how close to the bone we live and that there is no credit here-so delays that would not be a problem in the US are so very difficult here. Norm and I both managed to get paid today which means that I can restock the basic medications for the staff as all of us have colds. This is a very humbling experience because the people who need money are not asking for a hand out. They are simply asking for work. And we have to turn people away at the door everyday.

Security. I was so happy to live in Karte Se because it is quite far from the main city called Shari Nau where all of the security problems have been. I just really realized yesterday that the new "National Assemby" or the parliament has been built six blocks away. Two days ago I was making breakfast and here an explosion and sure enough I learned later in the day a suicide bomber had run into an ISAF guard near the new building. Apparently, other than him noone else died. But way too close for comfort.

Tomorrow the new assembly opens and the day may be declared a holiday to avoid having too many exposed to similar events. I went down to my little PARSA office in the same house as we live ( all are invited to join us if you come to Afghanistan) and we discussed the security situation. As usual, the enigmatic disclosure was 1) the people that have a bazaar stall on Jadi Maiwand are going to have their bazaar stalls thrown into the river -so we must not go near that part of town. And today, my administrative assistant called me to find out how I was because he heard gun fire- which upon further inquiry- he said that a Minister that lives a block and 1/2 away was having "internal" problems and there was gunfire.

I have told all PARSA staff to stay at home tomorrow, not because I am worried about their safety but they are so tramautized by past events and I want them to know they are safe and that I care.

My little dogs are finding homes. Three more to go, and that is my day here. Love to all.

No comments:

 
webhosting webhosting